Financial Aid

Athletics Aid

What does athletics aid cover?

Generally, athletics aid can cover all or some of the following elements, up to a student-athlete's cost of attendance defined by the University:

  • Tuition and fees;
  • Room and board;
  • Books and supplies;
  • Personal Expenses; and
  • Transportation.

full athletics scholarship will cover the total amount of these elements.

partial athletics scholarship will cover some portion of these elements depending on the terms of the aid agreement. Partial athletics scholarships are typically designated as a percentage (i.e., 25% of a full scholarship) or as a dollar amount (i.e., $10,000).

How is athletics aid disbursed?

All athletics aid (full or partial) is posted to the student-athlete's student account, divided evenly each semester, and is applied toward tuition, fees, and room and board charges. If any excess athletics aid remains, a refund will be available to the student-athletes.

Can athletics aid be cancelled, reduced, or non-renewed?

Generally, no. Athletics aid MAY NOT be cancelled, reduced, or non-renewed at any point for any athletics reason including:

  • student-athlete's ability, performance, or contribution to the team's success;
  • injury preventing the student-athlete from participating; or
  • any other athletics reason.

However, a student-athlete's athletics aid MAY be cancelled, reduced, or non-renewed at any point if he or she:

  • renders himself or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition for any reason (i.e., not meeting academic requirements);
  • fraudently misrepresents any information on an application, letter of intent, or aid agreement;
  • engages in serious misconduct; or
  • voluntarily (at his or her own initiative) quits the team for personal reasons.

Right to Appeal

If a student-athlete's scholarship is canceled, reduced, or not renewed for any reason, the student-athlete has the right to appeal the decision to the Faculty Athletics Representative within 15 business days. 

Does athletics aid cover summer school?

No. Athletics aid for summer school is distributed separately from a student-athlete's athletics aid for the regular academic year (fall and spring). Student-athletes with questions regarding the availability for summer athletics aid should contact their coach.

Does moving off-campus affect athletics aid? 

**Please be aware that any student-athlete receiving athletics aid MUST live on-campus for six academic year terms (fall/spring) and any summer terms leading up to his/her sixth term. Effective with the fall 2018 incoming class, all University of Notre Dame undergraduate students, including student-athletes, will be required to live on-campus for six academic year semesters.

Yes. Moving off-campus will not affect the amount of athletics aid a student-athlete is receiving, but it will affect how the student-athlete receives his or her aid.

  • Student-athletes on a full athletics scholarship will receive a monthly housing and meal stipend from September through May. Stipends are distributed by the Athletics Business Office.
  • A student-athlete on a partial athletics scholarship (percentage or dollar amount) will have his or her athletics aid posted to his or her student account where it will be applied to tuition and fees. If any excess athletics aid remains, a refund will be available to the student-athlete.

Athletics scholarship may be subject to taxation by the IRS. For more information, click HERE.

back to top

Need-Based Financial Aid

Institutional Need-Based Aid

The University of Notre Dame also provides students with additional avenues for receiving need-based financia aid including:

  • loans;
  • scholarships;
  • grants; and
  • work study.

To see if you are eligible for financial assistance from the University, you will need to complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For questions or assistance, please contact Erin Abbey in the Athletics Compliance Office or reach out to the Office of Financial Aid.

Federal PELL Grant

The PELL Grant is a federal grant for undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need. Unlike a federal loan, a Federal PELL Grant does not need to repaid.

In order to see if you are eligibile for a Federal PELL Grant, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are eligible for the PELL Grant, the amount you receive will be based on:

  • your financial need;
  • your cost of attendance;
  • your status as a full-time or part-time student; and
  • your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.

back to top

Outside Scholarships

Any student-athlete who is receiving scholarship awards from outside agencies is required to report these awards to the Athletics Compliance Office in order to ensure compliance with all applicable NCAA rules. Checks for these outside awards should be sent directly to the Office of Financial Aid, and the money will posted to the student-athlete's student account once the award has been approved. 

back to top

Student Accounts


IRISHPAY is the University's online student account statement and payment system available to students and authorized users. Parents or guardians of a student must be given authorization by the student to be able to access IRISHPAY.  Within IRISHPAY, students can:

  • check their account balance;
  • make a payment; and
  • set up direct deposit.



Requesting a Refund

Refunds can be requested ahead of time, but will not be disbursed to your account until the fist day of classes for each term. In order to request a refund, please complete the Online Request Refund Form or contact the Office of Student Accounts

Other Charges That May Affect Your Refund

Please be aware that any charges not covered by an athletics scholarship or other financial aid (i.e., parking tickets) will deduct automatically from the amount of the available refund.

Student Account FAQ

back to top

NCAA Student Assistance Fund

The NCAA provides each member school with funding to be used in assisting student-athletes that demonstrate a financial need. For questions regarding the Student Assistance Fund, or to apply for use of the fund, please visit the Athletics Compliance Office.

back to top