Athletics Compliance Office > Student-Athletes > Extra Benefits
16.02.3 An extra benefit is any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution's athletics interests to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete's relative or friend a benefit not expressly authorized by NCAA legislation.
If it's not available to the Notre Dame student body or general public, it's an extra benefit. Extra benefits can include, but, are not limited to:
clothing, tickets for entertainment, haircut, use of a car
- Free or reduced-cost room or board anywhere (including South Bend or hometown).
- Free or reduced-cost merchandise or services.
- Use of Athletics Department copy/fax machines, long distance telephone services, or free use of a cell phone.
- Special discount or credit on the purchase of an airline ticket.
- A loan of money or the consigning of a note to arrange a loan.
- Receipt of complimentary admissions for your family or friends other than your four complimentary tickets via the player pass list or those of a teammate.
- The sale or trade of your complimentary admissions for merchandise, services or debt repayment.
- The sale or trade of ANY items you've received for your participation in athletics (gear, clothing, awards)
What can a representative of athletics interest (Booster) do for a student-athlete?
- Provide an occasional in-home or on-campus meal with prior Compliance Office approval. Reasonable, local transportation may be provided to an approved occasional meal in a booster's home.
- Provide a student-athlete with a legitimate employment opportunity
ASK BEFORE YOU ACT (574) 631-9647 I ASK an NCAA Compliance